October 16, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth


If you haven't yet gone to see An Inconvenient Truth, I would highly recommend it. It's very good and Al Gore did a compelling presentation on Global Warming, it's impact on our future and what will happen if we don't do something about it.

It really makes you think about what you could do, every little bit counts. On their website, there is a link to "Ten Things to Do":

  1. Change a Light - replacing one regular light bulb with a compact flourescent light bulb will save 150 lbs of carbon dioxide a year.
  2. Drive less - walk, bike, carpool or take mass transit - you'll save a pound of carbon dioxide for every mile you don't drive
  3. Recycle more - you can save 2,400 lbs of carbon dioxide per year by recycling just half of your household waste
  4. Check your tires - Keeping your tires inflated properly can improve gas mileage by more than 3%. Every gallon of gasoline saved keeps 20 lbs of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere!
  5. Use less hot water - it takes energy to use hot water. Install a low flow showerhead (350 lbs saved each year) or wash clothes in cold or warm water (300 lbs saved per year)
  6. Avoid products with a lot of packaging - you can save 1,200 lbs of carbon dioxide if you cut down your garbage by 10%
  7. Adjust your thermostat - moving your thermostat 2 degrees in winter and up 2 degrees in summer, you can save about 2000 lbs of carbon dioxide per year
  8. Plant a tree - a single tree will absorb 1 ton of carbon dioxide over it's lifetime
  9. Turn off electronic devices - by turning off your tv, dvd player, stereo and computer when you're not using them can save you thousands of carbon dioxide a year
  10. Spread the word! Encourage your friends to watch An Inconvenient Truth
The impact of Global Warming is really scary, especially for our future and the future of our kids... it was definitely an eye opener for me.

I was happy to find out that BC Transit has a new bus route from Yaletown to Main Street on their Community Shuttle. The commute in total from door to desk is 20 minutes, about the same time as if I were to drive. I'm happy to share that I've now given up my parking pass and will be taking on mass transit. For the same price, I won't have to deal with any road rage, added gas, added insurance and added carbon dioxide! I'm quite excited to be making this transition! I hope you go and check out the movie.

3 comments:

Shanny said...

Good for you, Sharon! I've been trying to use transit more often as well (especially since I have a U-pass) and I bought Robin a shiny blue recycling bin, pumped up my tires and changed a few light bulbs after seeing the movie.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Brown-John, you make me proud. I will definitely be watching this movie now - we are all but a drop in the ocean of change =)

Sandee said...

I haven't seen this (or read the book) but I've been wanting to.

there are lots of other things you can do, like make your own cleaning products. It's cheaper and better for the environment. I've got a link on my sidebar to a bunch of recipes I use that work really well.