Having a house is so awesome (yes, we have fully adjusted to life in the 'burbs) and one great reason is having the back yard and a whole big garden to try out new things! Thanks to our landlords, they have set up a whole bunch of fruit growing trees, as well as initiated a veggie patch.
So, this summer we have had super fun picking cherries, raspberries and blueberries! We even have grape vines growing, with little green bunches all over the place, just waiting to see what they'll taste like! The girls find it quite satisfying to pick and eat their own berries :)
 |
| Raspberries alongside the garage wall |
 |
| Blueberries and Raspberry freshness! |
 |
| Delicious! |
 |
| We even have grapes! |
On the May long weekend, Trav and I tackled the veggie patch. We made up a mixture of soil, compost and vermiculite, and added it to the existing soil. Then it was seeding and planting time and see what would harvest!
 |
| May: Getting the patch ready |
 |
| July: Starting to see the potential meals ahead |
From seed, we planted beans, carrots, basil, cilantro and potatoes... and then we also added tomato plants, peppers and lettuce. So far, everything is still in growing mode except the basil, cilantro and lettuce... fresh garden salads, yum! Tonight, I managed to get enough basil leaves and made our very own fresh pesto... double yum!
 |
| You can see the little green tomato popping out |
 |
| Romaine lettuce for fresh caesar salad |
 |
| Little yellow pepper starting to come out |
 |
| Baby carrots... we had to take out some so they wouldn't overcrowd the rest |
Who knew I'd get this excited about gardening, but I am. It's pretty rewarding to see how nature just works and we get to reap the benefits. Plus, super awesome knowing I don't have to buy lettuce for the rest of summer, I can just go and pick the leaves. Can't wait for my potatoes and tomatoes! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment