June 07, 2010

Lily is a month old

We are already at the 1 month mark where Lily is a month, Nora's been a big sister for a month and we've been parents of 2 kids for a month!

Lily is doing well, gaining weight. At her 3 week check up she was 8lbs 1.5 oz (born in at 6lbs 14 oz) and unofficially at a month she was just over 9lbs. So, feeding has been going well. She's really quite a calm baby and goes to sleep pretty good and can stay asleep for 2-3 hours, which is definitely helpful at night. We have had a few crazy nights where both Nora and Lily have been getting up but at different times making it a tad more tiring, but manageable (and help with grandparents when naps are needed!). Otherwise, Lily is doing some more and more awake time in the morning and we've got her on the playmat and bouncy chair to sit on and stare out. Of course, Nora is providing plenty of entertainment for her as well.


Over the month, Nora has really transitioned quite well. First couple of weeks was definitely a tough, emotional one for her as she saw attention on Lily a lot more. But she's now very used to the crying (tries to help out) and a lot less clingy / pick my up type behaviour. We're seeing a lot more 'imaginative' play from Nora with her doll and other stuffed animals... she'd pretend to feed them or talk to them and sometimes I catch her saying the same things that I say to her, it's quite cute hearing my words come back at me ;). So, overall, I think Nora is doing great and just growing so much. She's verbally talking so well, telling stories, commentating what's happening and becoming very curious or inquisitive, always asking 'What you doing mommy" or our favourite, she'd look back and forth between Trav and I while we're chatting then ask, "What you talking about Mommy?". The only thing that's really fallen back since Lily's birth is her sleeping at night - she still wants Trav to hold her hand till she falls asleep and often wakes at night, calling for us to come to her. So, hopefully, that settles soon. One amazing thing, is through all this, is that's she's about 90% potty trained! She's wearing underpants at home and tells us when she wants to go... she can even do most of it all herself with a little help from us. I haven't yet ventured in public without diapers, I'll wait till I have Trav with me for practice. She makes us SO proud!

(Nora dressing up for Lily's 1 month dinner )

I have also survived my first week on my own with the 2. I have definitely learnt a new level of juggling... especially when I'm feeding Lily with one hand and attending to Nora with the other. Gone out a few times, taking Nora to the gym or park to play around, as well as a playdate with Aly & Maddy... and not too bad. It definitely helps that Lily will nap the whole time while in the Ergo (baby carrier) and we're both comfy with that set up. I like it that I don't have to really drive them anywhere... that kind of coordination is yet to be tried! :)

So, not too bad! Happy 1 month Lily!

1 comment:

Georgina said...

Lovely post Sharon and it definitely sounds like your life is very busy with 2!