September 23, 2007

Crabapple Jelly














When we were on Mayne Island last weekend, we went to the local farmers market (Trav and I have a soft spot for them!). We met a lady who grew crabapples (apparently there are different types and these ones grow a lot bigger than the typical kind you get here - usually they're much smaller and rounder).

Anyway, apparently these ones are really sour if you eat them on your own but she was saying they make for great Crabapple Jelly. Trav and I were looking around for ideas for his mom's birthday gift, so I started asking more about the process of making jelly and before you know, I was convinced that it was super easy to make so I told Trav that we should try it! Also, since we real rookies on this, I managed to get the lady to email me her crabapple jelly recipe to use.


So on Monday we tackled our new challenge. It was tons of fun making the jam together with Trav and it is really easy. The ingredients are basic... crabapples, water and sugar! We ended up buying 3lbs worth, enough to make about 5 full jars.

Who knew we'd make jelly! Now we just love it with crackers and a little bit of cream cheese, mmmm yum! Hopefully Trav's mom loves the idea too!













Happy Birthday Janie! (for tomorrow)

No comments: