September 28, 2006

Barcelona, we are impressed!

After our 19 hour odyssey the previous day, arriving to our room very late, and a restless sleep, we got off to a bit of a rocky start here in Barcelona.

I always find it difficult to adjust to a new city. I think for some the thought of all new sights to see, a new language to speak, and most of all new eateries to find, is exhilarating. Not so much for me. Don´t get me wrong, I love seeing new places, but I always find a brand new place takes a little getting used to.

Anyway, I´m glad to tell everyone that we had a great day in Barcelona. I now have a ¨new¨ favourite architect, that would be Gaudi of course. His work is everywhere in this city, and it really is amazing. I don´t have the vocabulary to describe it, so I´ll post some pics.




No straight lines here!




They started building this church in 1882. They still have about 25 years of work left!

We also had our first tapas experience tonight! I´d heard alot about spanish tapas and I was really looking forward to it. We weren´t disappointed. The whole experience was very different from what we´re used to in Canada, with the ´self serve´atmosphere, but you just had to jump in and go for it. Basically there are all sorts of tapas spread out on the bar, and if you see something you like, or think you might like, you grab it. When you´re all done, they count your toothpicks (each tapas has a toothpick) and that´s your bill. It was all delicious, and you were never quite sure what you were eating until you bit into it. Everything was delcious, roasted red peppers stuffed with cream cheese, chorizo sausage, prawns with pickled asparagus and olives. Everything was great.


Just getting started with our first plate.




We even found a place that served ´desert´ tapas!



That´s not a mini hamburger. Think chocolate, and then more chocolate. Get it?


Well, this has gone on long enough, in the ´blogosphere´, as in real life, I tend to go into alot of detail. Thanks to Sharon for letting me post on her blog.


-Travis

2 comments:

Sandee said...

check out parc guell if you want to see more great gaudi architecture...

LOL about the stairs. we had the same experience in paris staying at my cousin's place. i think all european apartments are like that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, you guys! One dish that really tantalized my taste buds in Barcelona was the cool green melon soup sprinkled with prosciutto. Probably not for everyone, but I found it delicious!