November 01, 2010

Happy Halloween!

This year's Halloween was awesome! It was our first year with kids where we spent Halloween in town. Last year we were in Maui and the year before that we were in San Diego... all were fun, but this year, was pretty darn cool. Nora really got into it all...even chose her costume idea on her own, to be a ballerina! Kinda surprised me a bit, since we've never really taken her for any lessons or anything, she's seen the classes at the Roundhouse and basically based her choice from one of the Halloween books we took out one day. Funny enough, also from the same book, she said that Lily should be the dinosaur, Dad the fireman, and I should be the 4-eyed-paper-bag monster! Unfortunately, we didn't get round to prepping all those costumes... instead we dressed Lily as a pumpkin for her first halloween :)
We also hosted a Halloween party, potluck style. It was fun planning for the party, t
here are so many neat ideas for Halloween stuff out there. I really wanted to make some creatively decorated cupcakes and after researching all the ideas, I also found it quite overwhelming... so many cool ideas out there, but with a week of bad sleeps for Lily and tiredness kicking in, I had no energy to try anything too extravagant... so I decided to go simple, have Nora help me with the sprinkles and I figure, I have plenty of years ahead of me where I can try the creative stuff :)It was really fun to have our friends over with their cute little kids all dressed up! It's been a while since we've had a big party like this.. the last time might have been pre-Nora for new year's eve parties! :)


Later in the afternoon, it was time for Trick or Treating around Yaletown! Nora had been asking us since 7am that morning when she could go, so when it was finally time to go, I am so glad that she was still very excited to go! It was such a fantastic experience! We went out with some of our friends and their families and walked around Yaletown to all the retail stores. It was packed with cute little kiddies everywhere... just such a fun vibe! Nora LOVED it... she was very proud of herself each time she got a treat, she'd come running out the store and yell out to us, 'Mommy / Daddy, I did it, I did it!'. And just super cute when her and Megan would hold hands and walk down the sidewalks together... What a fun age!

And there's Halloween! Kids really make all these special occassions so festive and get you in the spirit. Next year will be fun when Lily can participate and join Nora.... we'll have to see what costumes Nora picks for us :)

By the way, Lily had a great time too... she had a 2 hour nap during the party, didn't mind me putting the costume on, took pictures willingly and had a good time looking around during the trick or treating before going down for another little nap :)

No comments: