January 17, 2008

30 weeks pregnant

Woah. Really - so I'm now three quarters way through and just about 10 more weeks to go. Technically, you're full term at 37 weeks, so wow, I could be having this baby really soon, how scary is that! It may be odd, or not, but over the past few months and even before we got pregnant, I was never really scared or nervous about being pregnant or delivering the baby, I was just really excited about the adventure ahead of us.

But as we've started our prenatal classes and started reading more books and materials, I think reality is starting to hit! The classes are going really well... it definitely gives you a chance once a week if anything to really focus on the birth of your baby. Up until now, it's all been about pregnancy and what to do once the baby comes home... but never really about the birth experience. It really is quite a fascinating process... and nature is quite amazing.

During the classes, we have great conversations with other couples, we're introduced to different pain management techniques and just things to think about that often in the busy hub bub of a day, you forget to remember that this is such an awesome thing... you're growing a baby! After last night's class, I did leave feeling quite nervous and scared about the whole labour process (in terms of pain and duration). We got to watch (on video) a few labours and just how people handled the pain / their techniques etc, and I've always known it's going to be a lot of pain, but I think I've never really 'seen' it (except in movies) and wow... yeah... time to start figuring out which technique is going to work for me! It'll definitely not be quite the same as holding ice in your hand for a minute :)

But that's why we're going to these classes... to learn more, know what to expect and learn how to deal with the different things that'll be thrown our way. It's definitely scary but also just very exciting knowing that at the end of all this... we'll meet our baby!

2 comments:

Sandee said...

Hee, we did the holding ice in the hand thing too. I found that painful!

I've found that music, water, and counting are what really help me.

The Blommesteins said...

You'll do great Sharon! It's amazing what your body is designed to do. I really liked the classes too. It does an amazing job of helping you deal with any fears about the whole birth process.