January 04, 2007

How Often Do You...?

Today, while at home sick, I watched the Oprah Winfrey show. The episode was about cleanliness and 'How often do you change your pillows, change your kitchen sponge, change your sheets, etc etc'. It was amazing to see how this one lady has had her same pillows for the past 30 years... and the guest expert, Dr. Philip Tierno, author of "The Secret Life of Germs" revealed that pillows should be replaced every 1 to 3 years! Same as washing your sheets weekly because of these tiny little disgusting things called Dust Mites!

Dust mites are tiny bugs that are invisible to the naked eye that live off and feed off your dead skin cells. Very commonly found in your pillows, mattresses, sofa's and any of those dust bunnies you have in the corners of your rooms! So beware those terrible creatures... they can cause allergic reactions, second to pollen.

And that kitchen sponge, don't forget they're a hive of bad bacteria. Make sure you replace your sponge every month! The quote that got the most impact was when Dr. Philip Tierno said, "
The kitchen sink is the dirtiest place in most peoples' households. If you were to drop a carrot into your toilet, that toilet would probably be so clean in comparison to your kitchen." EUUUUW Yuck!

Anyway, just in case you're worried about coming over or staying at our place, I will assure you that all our pillows have been replaced in the past year, we wash our sheets and pillow cases and duvet covers etc weekly (and after a guest has stayed at our place), and sponges are regularly replaced. I'm glad I've learnt from young to always do this, I just never realised the impact of these gross, invisible bugs that exist all around us!

Ahh the new year, always a time for new learnings and new habits! :)

1 comment:

Sandee said...

I sometimes watch Oprah but often wish I didn't, cuz you learn things you'd rather not know. Last time I watched, I learned that it is possible to get STDs from hot tubs. :P

At any rate, we wash everything except duvet covers weekly. And we don't use sponges, just dishcloths that we throw in the wash once a week.

Hope you feel better soon!